Housing Unit

LSED’s housing unit assists people who are 60 years old or older in a variety of housing matters, including representing tenants in eviction proceedings, homeowners in property tax foreclosure and seniors with landlord/tenant disputes. Additionally, we provide representation for seniors who have housing code violations. To find out if you qualify for assistance, you can contact our intake line at 716-853-3087 or visit our online intake page.

Keeping Seniors in Their Homes

Building Strong Communities

Help With Your Finances

Representation in Housing Court


The housing unit also provides financial literacy services to seniors who want to stay in their home, but are unsure whether it is affordable. A paralegal in the unit can assist clients with developing budgets and provide information on programs and benefits that can help with affordability, as well as assist with applications for funds needed for home repairs and accommodations in the home. Living on a fixed income can make housing decisions very daunting. LSED’s Housing Unit will help you understand your options for staying in your home or apartment.

I just received a notice to quit- what is this and what does it mean?

If you are a tenant, there are two types of notices you can receive that demand you vacate your apartment.  The first is a 30 day Notice to Quit.  This means that your landlord has elected to terminate your tenancy and has demanded that you vacate the premises within the time period stated in the notice.

The second type of notice is a 3-Day Pay or Quit Notice.  These notices are issued when a tenant is behind on rental payments.  The Notice requires that payment be made in full within three days, or, in the alternative, the tenant vacate the apartment.

Failure to abide by either of these notices can lead to eviction proceedings brought in court.  A landlord may not take any measures to forcibly remove a tenant from an apartment.  The landlord must first bring an eviction proceeding in court.  A judge must then issue a warrant of eviction for the eviction to move forward.  If you require assistance in interpreting a notice you have received or require representation in court, please contact our office at 716-853-3087.

I am behind on my property taxes. What are my options?

If you are located in the City of Buffalo, Erie County or Niagara County, LSED can provide assistance with determining what your options are. If your home is already in foreclosure due to outstanding taxes, we will need to work with you as soon as possible to determine whether we can negotiate a payment arrangement or other method to avoid foreclosure. If you are just behind, but not in foreclosure yet, our financial literacy paralegal can work with you on budget options to see if you can catch up on the taxes to avoid foreclosure.

I received a notice to appear in housing court because my home needs repairs or maintenance. Do I need to go to court?

Yes.  Please take any notice from your local municipality seriously.  There can be penalties assessed against you for failure to appear in housing court.  If you need assistance in interpreting a notice you have received from housing court or if you require representation in housing court, please contact our office at 716-853-3087 to find out if you qualify for assistance.

[contact-form-7 id=”184″]